Starting Pole from Age 40+
We saw it, we wanted it, we hesitated with it. “What if I’m the only “older” one there?” “What if I’m not limber enough?” We’ve got all the questions running through our heads, holding us back from starting pole dancing at the golden ages of 40 and up!
But hell, these years are the years we should throw all doubts behind and reinvent ourselves. We do us, we tick off our bucket list and do the things we feared in our younger years. TPR host 40+ and Fabulous Courses that do just that! If you’re on the fence, hear from our lovely 40+ tribe members and what made them finally say YES to pole and how it has changed their lives.
While you’re at it, head here to learn more about our 40+ & Fabulous Course.
- Reason for starting pole: Fitness, strength and fun. Tried it many years ago and keen to restart. The 40+ and Fabulous course was a great way to ease back in.
- First impressions of TPR: Great set up, location and lovely staff.
- What you’ve learnt about yourself by doing pole: I can do so much more than I imagined.
- What you enjoy most about pole: Fun routines, teachers that can personalise teachings to the class and to individuals.
- How would you describe the TPR Tribe: Inclusive, patient, friendly.
- Advice to anyone who is 40+ and wants to try pole: Just do it! You’re not too old! Take it at your own pace. You will love it. Everyone is friendly, judgement-free and full of encouragement.
- Reason for starting pole: The short answer is, I needed to be able to touch my toes. The long answer is, because I needed to participate in an exercise that I actually enjoyed and sparked happiness in my life (aka, not the gym). Pole is the only exercise where, not only am I working towards my ultimate goal, but I also get the opportunity to be fierce and sassy while I get there. I’m 40, not dead.
- First impressions of TPR: Staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and truly welcoming – check. Brilliant dance studios with awesome lighting that make you feel like a rockstar – check. A great bunch of people from all walks of life who you will soon be chatting with via Whatsapp groups, supporting and joining you on your pole journey – check.
- What you’ve learnt about themselves by doing pole: (WARNING: Games of Thrones analogy incoming) Imagine this, if you took a much older (and chunkier) Brienne of Tarth out of her armour and told her to climb a pole, that would be the best way to describe my starting point. However, as I have completed my first term of pole with TPR, I have started to notice the small improvements in strength and flexibility that bring me closer to becoming the pole dancer I want to be. Basically, I have learnt that it is from not giving up and keeping on trying and having fun. I will eventually land myself a Lannister, no matter where I started from.
- What you enjoy most about pole: I get to finish my day at work and go dancing on a week night.
- How would you describe the TPR Tribe: This is a tribe that embraces you, encourages you, and helps you to achieve your pole goals. It’s not just the owners and the teachers that make this such a fabulous tribe, but it’s the great bunch of people who participate and support you along the way. Every time I leave class, although a little sore from the workout and attracting some “pole kisses,” I leave with the biggest smile on my face.
- Advice to anyone who is 40+ and wants to try pole: YOU. CAN. DO. IT. Prior to joining TPR, I wanted to “get fit” and “build my strength” by using a gym membership to a magical place in Narnia I never went to. I saw 40+ and Fabulous and said to myself, “F It”, I jumped in head first. I can honestly say I have zero regrets. Why? Because no matter what stage you are at, TPR will support and respect the pace you need to take in order to reach your fitness and dancing goal. And hey, you won’t be the only fabulous one there 😊
- Reason for starting pole: Social activity with my bestie!
- First impression of TPR: Inviting and warm
- What have you learned about yourself by doing pole: I’ve only done one class, but I know that I can laugh at myself and have fun with out being self conscious.
- What do you enjoy most about pole: Meeting new people and realising I am ME and that is okay. Lumps and bumps included.
- How would you describe the TPR Tribe: Friendly, welcoming and extremely supportive of my achievements, no matter how small.
- Advice to anyone who is 40+ and wants to try pole: Lumps, bumps are okay. You are not as sore after class as you think you may be. Sockettes are a must. Being uncoordinated and lacking in gracefulness are not reasons to not give it a go!
I’m unfit, have never done pole, and have never had any formal dance training. Is this for me? Join the club! We all have to start somewhere. This course is purely foundational and is designed so that you, as a student, have the best time working out. So don’t worry if you’ve never set foot in a studio or gym before – your incredible instructor will take you through each move gradually and progressively. We got you!
Where does the course take place? The 40+ & Fabulous Course runs out of our Mitcham, Kilsyth and Melbourne CBD studios.
How do I enrol? See how much goodness is included in the 40+ & Fabulous Course here and get in touch to get started.
What if I have more questions? Email [email protected] with your full name, preferred studio and phone number, and we’ll get in touch!
Are there any other 40+’s currently enrolled in the program? Absolutely! We recently had a huge milestone broken – 2,000 visits by one of our favourites clients Daphne who has been with us now since 2015. We also have a great student story from Sue Crute that you can read here. We really encourage you to read this interview if you are still unsure if pole dancing is for over 40’s.
If you’re ready to conquer confidence, and become the boldest version of you (despite having a crazy schedule), make a visit to The Pole Room. Skills-based courses and classes are fun, relaxed and totally beginner-friendly. Even if you feel un-co, or have never set foot in a dance studio in your life, you’ll be in the hands of instructors who will work with you to become your best self.